[LAD] ALSA latency and MMAP

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Sep 8 13:49:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Clemens Ladisch<clemens at ladisch.de> wrote:
> Paul Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes.  So does snd_pcm_mmap_commit().
>>
>> something must have changed. "back in the day", you could not possible
>> use the mmap API to deliver > 1 period at a time. has that changed?
>
> I don't know about "those days", but if that was the case then, it has
> indeed changed.

the documentation for snd_pcm_writei() notes:

"If the blocking behaviour is selected, then routine waits until all
requested bytes are played or put to the playback ring buffer. The
count of bytes can be less only if a signal or underrun occurred."

do you want to clarify your comment about "no additional buffering"?