[LAD] interesting blog post about syncing blender and ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Sep 22 13:37:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 05:51:23PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

>> when rolling, sure. i'm thinking about a locate command.
>
> Locating (while stopped) is a remote control function, which
> is not the same as syncing. SMPTE in itself does not support
> anything similar to a locate command, it's not a remote control
> protocol but just an audio signal that can be decoded to time.

but on any system that does send a locate command, such as one that
sends MMC, the time location is invariably specified via timecode,
typically SMPTE. this is appropriate when the only conceivable locate
targets are film/video frames, but this is not true for systems
dealing primarily with audio. i don't find SMPTE acceptable as a way
to share the position on an audio timeline.

> some seconds, but once sync was established it could be very
> accurate, actually better than a sample at 48 Khz.

i've been told by a company that specializes in timecode and shared
transport control systems that ardour has the fastest and most
accurate MTC sync of any DAW. we get down to about 2 samples of
jitter. that doesn't alter my observations about an audio timeline.