[LAD] successive note on midi events

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Apr 12 06:35:00 UTC 2010

James Morris wrote:
> On Mon, April 12, 2010 00:38, James Morris wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I've seen this dealt with on the list before, but can't
>> find it.
>>
>> With the program I'm fumbling around trying to create, it will be possible
>> for successive note on events for the same pitch to occur without note off
>> events intervening.
>>
>> Does the MIDI spec allow such things?
>>

> Sorry to answer myself so soon...
>
> I guess it is allowed. The simplest case being a sequencer outputting to
> the same channel and port as a keyboard player. Nothing can prevent this -
> right?

Btw. how do you handle running status? I guess you are talking about
connections made by JACK or ALSA MIDI, so you don't need a MIDI merge
box and you don't have to take care because of the running status? Note
that the MIDI spec was made to connect hardware devices too. I'm not
sure if you need to take care of the MIDI spec, maybe JACK and ALSA will
smooth away difficulties for you. I don't program for Linux, but did it
for hardware devices.