[LAD] successive note on midi events

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Apr 12 08:41:16 UTC 2010

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 08:07 +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>

>> The question is what happens at the other end when a note gets struck a
>> second time.
>>
>> a) Nothing, the note is already on.
>> b) Re-trigger, the voice is reset and the note gets played from the top
>> c) Trigger, a new voice is assigned and will play simultaneously to
>> previous voices
>>

> a) and b) both might make sense for a monophonic synth part, but in the
> polyphonic case, it should be c). Doubling a note seems perfectly
> reasonable to me and accidental surplus Note-Ons are simply not
> acceptable (I'm also not aware of that being a common problem).

Doubling notes is reasonable, e.g. to avoid a machine-gun effect when a
drum is played a second time, whereas the first sound isn't released.
It's not acceptable if you program for hardware, the kind of MIDI
connection he was talking about isn't acceptable for hardware too, e.g.
he won't be able to control running status. But perhaps internal Linux
it's ok to do it his way?