[LAD] successive note on midi events

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Apr 13 02:02:05 UTC 2010

Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 00:55 +0100, James Morris wrote:
>

>> A string of note-ons following each other all for the same pitch n without
>> any intervening note-offs for pitch n, IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE provided
>> they are INTENTIONAL and NOT accidental.
>>

> Yes, except for that this is an absurdity that could only happen by
> accidental programming.

Isn't there the consensus that the c) thing will cause the same sound,
as the sound that will be produced, when the sustain pedal is used? And
that it's allowed by the MIDI specs to do this without using a sustain
pedal, but by using a sequencer were it's edited that the same note will
overlap? It might be useful to produce some random phasing synth sound,
but there's absolutely no natural instrument were this could happen.

By the way, I right now played a very good DX7 Mark III sound, hold the
sustain pedal and played the same notes again and again and the sound
became bad. I dunno, but I hope that for a Clavinova a Mark sound even
would be "reset" when the sustain pedal is hold and the same notes will
be played again and again.

Anyway, "except for that this is an absurdity that could only happen by
accidental programming", it's not an absurdity, it's possible to do this
by using any sequencer, but most times it's unwanted, because it seldom
sound good and it never sounds natural. Some sequencers have functions
that allow to delete "same notes".