[LAD] distros migrating to JACK2?

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Fri Apr 16 09:21:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 03:06:28PM +0900, michael noble wrote:

> hi folks,

Hi!

> Are any interested or invested parties willing to provide some clarification
> on this? I know distros are fully welcome to package whatever they wish. I
> also am pretty sure that whatever happens will happen regardless of my
> opinion on the matter. There have, however, been some colorful exchanges
> between packagers and devs regarding JACK in the past so in the interest of
> transparency and openness I was hoping involved parties might have something
> to say about this.

Here's a good summary:

   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-April/134723.html

By now, Debian, Ubuntu and OpenSuse are already in, Fedora is still
undecided.

So yes, it's true, I've asked all the major distributions to switch to
jackd2, so users have the same feature set no matter which distro they
use.

Also note that there's no (easy) way back, we're entirely switching to
jackd2, that is, the user won't have the possibility to select jackd1
instead.

HTH

--
mail: adi at thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver