[LAD] distros migrating to JACK2?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri Apr 16 19:23:09 UTC 2010

On 04/16/2010 08:06 AM, michael noble wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> I just saw an interesting line over at opensuse.org (
> http://news.opensuse.org/2010/04/14/opensuse-11-3-milestone-5-the-community-strikes-back/)
> regarding the installation of JACK2 as default in the upcoming opensuse 11.3
> release. That wasn't the interesting part. This is:
>
> The JACK team is coordinating with openSUSE, Ubuntu, and Debian, among
>> others, to upgrade to jack 1.9.5 (JACK2) during the spring/summer release
>> cycle.
>>

> This seems to imply that there is quite a large move happening across
> multiple distros, and that move is being coordinated with JACK developers.
> I'm not a dev and I'm not really comfortable commenting on dev issues, but
> is this really accurate?

maybe i caused that confusion when i posted some jack-related bug to the
opensuse tracker a while ago, last fall or so. had a brief mail exchange
with the jack packet maintainer about how jack2 would eventually
supersede jack1 (at that time, it seemed pretty clear given that there
was no smp support for jack1 on the horizon), and that distros should
look into that issue eventually. i should have followed up on this, but
forgot about it. maybe some note ended up in a wishlist somewhere.
unless somebody else here has been in touch with the suse guys about it.