[LAD] distros migrating to JACK2?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Apr 18 09:01:41 UTC 2010

Ok Marije, Arnold, Philipp :)

programs don't depend to the development files, so I perceive that they
should be separated.
Today for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3 = Ubuntu Hardy we do have a package jackd
including /usr/bin/jackd.
A package jackdbus including nothing but copyright, TODO etc..
A package libjack0, including /usr/lib/libjack.so.
A package libjack0.100.0-0, including nothing but copyright, TODO etc..
A package libjack-dev, including the headers.
A package libjack0.100.0-dev, including nothing but copyright, TODO etc..
And than there are the libjackserver packages, IIRC there aren't such
packages for Karmic.

Again, I'm using JACK2, I prefer JACK2, I won't have any issues when
JACK2 will become default for all distros, but other people might like
to keep JACK1. Because at the moment JACK1 is default for some distros,
I know the troubles, when I changed to JACK2 or when I just compiled the
current version of JACK1, like I did for Karmic, fortunately my
favourite distro already ships with JACK2.

For Karmic I've got 5 dummy packages and one package that really is needed.

$ ls /media/disk/usr/src/dummy-packages
jackd_0.118.0_all.deb     libjack0.100.0-0_0.118.0_all.deb
libjack-dev_0.118.0_all.deb
libjack0_0.118.0_all.deb  libjack0.100.0-dev_0.118.0_all.deb
$ ls /media/disk/usr/src/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0/*.deb
/media/disk/usr/src/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0/jack-audio-connection-kit_0.118.0-1_i386.deb

For Suse I don't know how to build dummy packages, first I ignored the
broken dependencies when doing upgrades, then I have had enough and
installed the regular packages, deleted all files and build the version
of JACK I wish to have.

I don't understand the reason why this can't be changed.

2 Cents,
Ralf