[LAD] distros migrating to JACK2?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Apr 18 09:27:02 UTC 2010

Philipp wrote:
> Excerpts from Ralf Mardorf's message of 2010-04-18 11:01:41 +0200:
>
>> Ok Marije, Arnold, Philipp :)
>>
>> programs don't depend to the development files, so I perceive that they
>> should be separated.
>> Today for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3 = Ubuntu Hardy we do have a package jackd
>> including /usr/bin/jackd.
>> A package jackdbus including nothing but copyright, TODO etc..
>> A package libjack0, including /usr/lib/libjack.so.
>> A package libjack0.100.0-0, including nothing but copyright, TODO etc..
>> A package libjack-dev, including the headers.
>> A package libjack0.100.0-dev, including nothing but copyright, TODO etc..
>> And than there are the libjackserver packages, IIRC there aren't such
>> packages for Karmic.
>>
>> Again, I'm using JACK2, I prefer JACK2, I won't have any issues when
>> JACK2 will become default for all distros, but other people might like
>> to keep JACK1. Because at the moment JACK1 is default for some distros,
>> I know the troubles, when I changed to JACK2 or when I just compiled the
>> current version of JACK1, like I did for Karmic, fortunately my
>> favourite distro already ships with JACK2.
>>
>> For Karmic I've got 5 dummy packages and one package that really is needed.
>>
>> $ ls /media/disk/usr/src/dummy-packages
>> jackd_0.118.0_all.deb     libjack0.100.0-0_0.118.0_all.deb
>> libjack-dev_0.118.0_all.deb
>> libjack0_0.118.0_all.deb  libjack0.100.0-dev_0.118.0_all.deb
>> $ ls /media/disk/usr/src/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0/*.deb
>> /media/disk/usr/src/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0/jack-audio-connection-kit_0.118.0-1_i386.deb
>>
>> For Suse I don't know how to build dummy packages, first I ignored the
>> broken dependencies when doing upgrades, then I have had enough and
>> installed the regular packages, deleted all files and build the version
>> of JACK I wish to have.
>>
>> I don't understand the reason why this can't be changed.
>>
>> 2 Cents,
>> Ralf
>>

> I don't really know, nor care, about debian specific packaging stuff.
> What I know is that it has a record of being broken.
> Here's an article where some of the technicalities are discussed in the
> comments: http://ardour.org/node/2543
>
> Philipp

I could add a list of broken packages for [censorship to avoid a flame
war]. That's why I guess every Linux audio user running a distro that
isn't a pure audio distro and sometimes even for pure audio distros
needs to compile apps depending to the JACK headers.
We only need one package for each JACK named jackx-audio-connection-kit
and at best a second one called jackx-audio-connection-kit-dev, x is for
1, 2, 3, dbus or what ever, for the dependencies there should be added
that JACK1 conflicts with JACK2 etc., thus the averaged user is able to
choose the version of JACK he wishes to have.

Ralf