[LAD] [LAU] Hello World: linuxaudio.org on a new Machine

Robin Gareus robin at linuxaudio.org
Fri Apr 23 14:03:31 UTC 2010

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Since 6pm UTC today linuxaudio.org is hosted on a new server (actually a
>> VM).
>>
>> Due to slowly failing hardware on the old machine were urged to perform
>> the migration ahead of schedule and were unable to send out a
>> notification about it beforehand.
>>
>> The hosting is (still) provided by by the Virginia Tech, Department of
>> Music and Digital Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio. Many thanks to
>> Ico Bukvic. Daniel James takes care of DNS. and a big thanks to
>> Marc-Olivier Barre who manages the email services.
>>
>> All systems go.
>> robin root
>>

> Aren't VM's cool?!

They certainly are cooler that calling Ico on a Sunday morning and
asking him to drive to campus and press the reset-button or sth. :)

but actually optimizing a virtual machine's I/O for >1 TB/month traffic
and sending ~1Million of [valid] emails per month is much harder than on
bare metal.

> The site works but not at the link above. That says under
> construction. Adding the www in front brings the main page right up.
> The links on the left work but none of the announcement links in the
> middle of the page are working for me at this time.

Thanks for reporting this. It's good to know there are people who keep
an eye open.

I hazard a guess that this occured because you did not flush your
browsers' DNS cache and/or you were unlucky to just try that while I was
tweaking some apache preferences.

Anyway, there may still be a few minor glitches as we continue to tweak
the system during the next days. - but don't hesitate to contact us
should you experience some unexpected behaviour with the site.

Cheers!
robin