[LAD] General question: Components of Music Software

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Tue Apr 27 14:27:12 UTC 2010

Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> Here's my impression of a Granulizer:
>
> Chops a piece of audio up into many little "granules" (segments), ususally
> each granule is smaller than 20ms in duration, and then reorganizes
> these granules to
> form new sounds. There is a method of synthesis based around this
> approach.
In practice grains can be up to 100ms.
Some of the parameters of granulation:
- grain length (1 -100ms, but this )
- grain envelope (the envelope of each single grain, e.g. triangle,
trapezoid, gaussian etc.)
- grain density (can be measured or described in different ways but it's
the number of grains played in a certain amount of time, the more the
grains the 'denser' the sound)
etc.

There are many granular tools out there for linux. I made a
'minimalistic' one with Pd if anyone were interesterd

Best,
Lorenzo