[LAD] A small article about tools for electronic musicians

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 13:36:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Renato <rennabh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just two comments:
>
> 1) yes, rakarrack *does* rock - incredible sounds you can get from that
> creature (for anyone interested, git version has many more goodies
> than last release)
>
> 2) If you want to have more and more precise control on your effects
> (like the 3/16 delay you mentioned) you really should look into pd or
> supercollider. Don't fool yourself saying "I am no coder". You can
> learn, at various degrees. And while it may be more difficult to learn
> than playing with a gui, the time investment will be rewarded. If
> your focus is on electronic music, you really should learn to use (at
> least to some degree) the more advanced tools: on a computer, these are
> things like pd and sc.

Hey Renato!

I am Russian (my artist name has a long story).

The PD and supercollider... I am hoping to give some useful insight to you
guys here
about how chaps like myself view this.

Most importantly - I like learning new stuff. I really do. The amount of
things I did learn,
having switched to GNU/Linux us enormous.

What stops me from using PD and CSound and such is not the fact that I need
to learn something.
It is the fact that the workflow, the process itself is very different. It
might be inspiring in its own
way, but this is not what I am seeking 4 at the moment. Just like some
people prefer to work with
hardware, getting basically the same result, there are people who want to
work with certain types
of software and get into certain types of methods to get to their goal. It
is more than a simple
matter of fancy.

The article and the apps I've shown do satisfy that, I tried to highlight
things I found valuable to
myself.

L.V.