[LAD] A small article about tools for electronic musicians

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Apr 28 13:50:09 UTC 2010

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 April 2010, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Louigi Verona wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Lorenzo!
>>>
>>> The point is not extreme. It deals with music which requires sound
>>> manipulation. Thanks to everybody's feedback, I might change the
>>> wording to better explain what I mean. As stated in the article, by
>>> electronic musician there I mean a musician who manipulates sound.
>>> Usually, it is ambient-kinda music, like this:
>>> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=music&t=catalogue&num=5
>>> <http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=music&t=catalogue&num=5>
>>>
>>> If you listen to that, it is a whole class of electronic music. Having
>>> an app like Rakarrack is key for that kind of music - in fact, it is
>>> all about transforming sounds, there are no melodies in a strict sense
>>> of the word.
>>> Prior to Rakarrack I was on my way to installing Windows XP on another
>>> laptop for music. Now that plan is put to a halt.
>>>
>>> So my article is for a rather niche kind of composers, but it is a
>>> niche I want the devs to know about.
>>>
>>> L.V.
>>>
>> I exactly was thinking about music similar to
>> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=music&t=catalogue&num=0, so
>> there's no misunderstanding.
>>

> That is quite listenable music IMO, but on my system, seems to be suffering
> from sign reversals on some notes. Pulse Audio system of course so its also
> full of other, unrelated ticks and pops.  Neither are the musics fault IMO.
> Listening to Daydream Sessions.

It's not the kind of music I've got the rest to do without being
completely stoned, but my alter ego "scorpion-mouse, spiny mouse" has
fun listening to it and right now I'm not stoned. I prefer e.g. Arnold
Schönberg, for old school, but his music is absolutely perfect regarding
to what music is all about. I prefer to listen to more restless
musicians, because I'm a borderline personality, anyway, his music is
quiet cool :). So! I fear he knows what he's talking about ;).