[LAD] what does "full range" mean with regard to ambisonics and speakers?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Aug 3 21:42:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 11:11:42PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> >Another question to two (Joern and Fernando) AMB nerds: does
> >a multicnannel AMB aware dynamics processor make sense ? When
> >would you use it ? I'm asking because one of the plugins I'm
> >developing could be exactly that.
>
> oh, certainly. it would be divine to *not* be able to do evil sum
> compression in ambisonics, ever, but sometimes, earthly matters
> require it...
>
> but my favourite solution to this approach would be for ardour to do
> the right thing wrt side chaining (or at least allowing the chains
> to be made manually). i'm told a3 can do it, and i'll be checking it
> out.

Well I don't think a plugin host can ever do the right thing unless
it is AMB aware itself. For a multichannel compressor the gain has to
be the same in all channels, AMB or not. So you can't just replicate a
mono plugin. For the compressor I'm developing, in AMB mode only the W
channel affects the gain. A host can't arrange that, unless 1) the
compressor is multichannel by design and 2) it has a separate detector
(sidechain) input and 3) the host allows you to send just one channel
of a multichannel track to that special input. Maybe A3 can do that.
But it would just cover this simple case. It's much easier to provide
the function *inside* the plugin.

If you want to test it it's available (along with an EQ) if you accept
the NDA.

Ciao,

--
FA