[LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Aug 10 08:14:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 01:43:50AM -0400, Tim E. Real wrote:

> Had some thoughts about the meters.
> Take the inputs as an example:
> The meters currently show pre-fader levels.
> I find that a bit odd. ie Adjusting the slider doesn't actually
>  change the meter level.
> So by multiplying (er, subtracting?) the meter value by
>  the slider attenuation value, we can have post-fader meter display.
> Sound good?

No, it would just add confusion.

- The meters are there to show levels at the AD/DA converters,
  i.e. to allow you to check you are using those in a sensible
  way. They happen to be on the same window as the mixer, which
  can be useful as they suggest to the user which signal is
  being controlled by a fader. But otherwise they are not part
  of the mixer, and a better place for them would be with the
  HW gain controls.

- The post-fader signals in the mixer are not available anywhere,
  they just get summed to the bus. There is little point in measuring
  such signals, even less with a meter that just shows digital peak
  level and has no relation at all to the real loudness of a signal
  and what it contributes to a mix.

Ciao,

--
FA