[LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Wed Aug 11 03:09:30 UTC 2010

On August 10, 2010 10:08:51 am you wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 1:14 AM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> > - The meters are there to show levels at the AD/DA converters,
> >  i.e. to allow you to check you are using those in a sensible
> >  way. They happen to be on the same window as the mixer, which
> >  can be useful as they suggest to the user which signal is
> >  being controlled by a fader.
But you ultimately turn to the analog volume tab in order to
 affect what's arriving at the meters and the faders.
If we put a pre/post fader button on each digital mixer strip,
 then in post mode the user would have to understand that
 what is shown on the meter is affected by the sum of the
 digital mixer slider level and some corresponding analog slider level.
That is what is ultimately feeding the mixer after the fader, isn't it?
So this information would be useful to show, wouldn't it?
It is readily 'available', am I correct?:
 post-fader meter value = pre-fader meter dB value + slider dB value

However I realised yesterday that each digital mixer strip is STEREO.
That means for post-fader metering, we would need to split the current
 single meter into two meters - left and right.

If we couple this with MONO analog volume meters, and each of
 THEM with pre/post buttons, AND to combat clutter we split
 the DAC/ADC tab into two (he ducks, expecting projectiles)
 or use Niels' suggestions below ...

OK, I know there's issues, I must first understand how the routing
 affects all of this. It's only ideas for now.
It just seems like something is missing, like it really could use
 some kind of extra metering + options, you know?

> >  But otherwise they are not part
> >  of the mixer, and a better place for them would be with the
> >  HW gain controls.

> The meters show the levels at the A/D&D/A's but also at other things
> that don't necessarily end up being routed to the analog I/O.
>
> See the "Peak" labels on
> http://nielsmayer.com/envy24control/envy24mixer-architecture.png ...
> That's:
> * 10 channels of hardware peak-levels of inputs (including an SPDIF pair).
> * 10 channels of hardware peak-level outputs (including an SPDIF pair).
> * 2 channels for the digital mixer output.
>
> So in reality (assuming reality==documentation==
> http://alsa.cybermirror.org/manuals/icensemble/envy24.pdf )
> the peak meters are part of the mixer. However, the peak meter
> information is most useful in the "Analog Volume" panel, but that
> would  miss four-six channels + spdif-pair of outputs. As a stopgap, I
> put the dBFS value alongside each channel, since adding the full
> meters to this panel was a much larger and more radical change than my
> initial patches.
>
> A better design overall, IMHO would be to combine all 20 input and
> output faders feeding the digital-summer into a single panel. Instead
> of two faders per channel, just one fader and a panpot, which would
> normally be swung hard-left or hard-right, but should also have a
> detent or page-position at center mix. The panpot would also  indicate
> inactive and set at center-mix when "L/R Gang" is selected. Each
> channel would have the numeric dbFS input value displayed as a
> "button", which when selected, expands a meter that fills the column
> vertically; and deselected, it goes back to being a text display of
> the peak levels. That mechanism of dynamically adding a meter per
> channel could also be used in the "Analog Volumes" section to
> optionally allow meter info to be displayed alongside each slider.
>
> > - The post-fader signals in the mixer are not available anywhere,
> >  they just get summed to the bus.
>
> They are "available" in that the output of the digital mixer is
> metered and that meter is always displayed in envy24control. If you
> want to see the resulting level of any particular channels'
> attenuation, "solo" it (by manually muting the other incoming
> channels) and observe the resulting levels under the "Digital Mixer"
> meters. (Actually, a "Channel Solo" option-menu would be a useful
> addition to the digital mixer GUI: "off", "solo left" "solo right"
> "solo center".
Another good idea. And Pinocchio said,  "I'm a real mixer, I'm a real mixer!".

Again, per-strip post-fader metering, I tells ya' !
Cheers. Tim.