[LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Aug 11 20:35:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:26:19PM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Tim E. Real <termtech at rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > If we put a pre/post fader button on each digital mixer strip,
> >  then in post mode the user would have to understand that
> >  what is shown on the meter is affected by the sum of the
> >  digital mixer slider level and some corresponding analog slider level.
> > That is what is ultimately feeding the mixer after the fader, isn't it?
> > So this information would be useful to show, wouldn't it?
> > It is readily 'available', am I correct?:
> >  post-fader meter value = pre-fader meter dB value + slider dB value
>
> While it is true that "mudita24's" meters are perpetually in PFL
> (prefade listen) mode -- and this can be confusing to those expecting
> an analog mixer, the
> AFL (after-fade listen) metering doesn't necessarily make sense in
> this mixer. In this case, it doesn't convey new information. In an
> analog mixer, for  example, it could indicate you've applied too much
> gain/eq even if the PFL's were in-range.

Not really, EQ normally being pre-fader. Post-fader meters in a mixer
strip are useful only of the signal being metered is actually one
that is physically available on some connector, e.g. as a direct out.
It would not indicate any overload that occurs pre-fader.

If the signal just goes to a mixing bus (as in the case we are discussing)
then it's individual level is irrelevant - the level on the mixing bus (all
signals summed) may be. But in this case you can't overload the mixing
bus, so even that would be useless.

> An initial problem in viewing mudita24 as a "mixer" : if the "mute" is
> on, it doesn't display that, nor the contribution of the faders to the
> resulting stereo mix.  However, this app is also, or perhaps mostly,
> to be used as an input leveling and metering utility alongside a real
> mixer and real metering solution in a DAW. The mixer might be used for
> it's traditional purpose as a "zero-latency monitoring" solution for
> performers, while relegating the final mix to ardour or qtractor --
> both of which implement their own mixer and metering and work in the
> expected ways as a mixer.

Yes, it can be used in two different ways. If you don't need the zero
latency monitoring (e.g. when the card is connected to a real mixer
anyway) you would not use the card's mixer at all, and set fixed
analog gains.

> > However I realised yesterday that each digital mixer strip is STEREO.
> > That means for post-fader metering, we would need to split the current
> > single meter into two meters - left and right.
>
> Not if you use the idea of a single fader and a panpot. Then the meter
> would be displaying the post-fader level, and the panpot would be
> determining how that is actually mapped to the individual channels.

In this case, just individual buttons for L and R instead of the panner
would be just fine, and you wouldn't need the mute buttons anynore.

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.