[LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Aug 15 12:17:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:50:32AM +0100, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 22:51 +0200, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 12:19:33AM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:
> >
> > > The big issue with having the full 144dB range is that the "business"
> > > end of the slider is all at the top,
> >
> > I've never seen a real fader that has any practical resolution
> > below -80 dB: the next tick, 5mm or so down,  is 'Off'. And most
> > don't even go down that much.
>
> I'm sure most people on here know this, but the decibel scale is a
> relative logarithmic scale.

I'm sure most people know that. And what is supposed to follow from
this ? Most faders will be calibrated +10 or +15 dB at the top, so
if the last tick is -80 dB, that means a range of 95 dB. More than
that is pretty useless. The 144 dB range of the chip just reflects
the fact that the gain is set by a 24-bit integer value, that's all.

> Saying "-80dB" means that whatever went in
> was attenuated by 80dB, or 1x10E8

1e8 in power, 1e4 in amplitude.

- if you put in a 1V signal, a 0.01µV  signal will result.

0.1 mv actually.

Ciao,

--
FA