[LAD] Clipping outputs

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Aug 19 19:11:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 19 August 2010 20:34:57 Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> Is it necc. for me to clamp my audio outputs to [-1.0, 1.0]?
> Somewhere I got it in my head that I need to clip my output
> signal (float*) to the range [-1.0, 1.0] before sending my
> audio signals downstream.

No, just send your data out as is. The [-1, 1] limit only applies for jack
when the float audio is converted to whatever bitdepth-integer your soundcard
uses. Which is why some people have a post-fader limiter in their master
channel in ardour during recording/mix (but not during mixdown/export).

You should keep in mind that your app sounds better when it stays within [-1,
1] under normal circumstances. But you don't have to force that. Their wont be
any losses when your signals go beyond 1 as long as the audio stays within
jack.

Have fun,

Arnold