[LAD] wiki.linuxaudio.org, still help needed ?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Aug 19 21:32:34 UTC 2010

On 08/16/2010 06:57 PM, Niels Mayer wrote:
> What about adding a more modern Wiki/CMS platform -- http://xwiki.org
> -- allowing WYSIWYG editing in your browser:
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/WysiwygEditor .
> Also, useful for public collaborative documentation, the new
> annotations feature:
> http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Applications/AnnotationsApplication
> . Xwiki has  extensive import/export features. Aside from the usual
> export as pdf/html/print etc, you can also use Xwiki to run openoffice
> (in server mode) to import documents written in word/OOo/etc/ and
> easily convert them to wiki documents:
> http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Applications/OfficeImporterApplication

Nice, but what would be the use-cases for those features on
linuxaudio.org? Basically we recommend flossmanuals.net for
collaborative documentation.

It'd also be a bit of work to [write a script to] convert the ~4000
existing wiki pages (mostly apps) to the xwiki; and write a custom app
(or plugin) to visualize tags/categories like eg.
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/jack

Besides that, I'm somewhat averse to installing JAVA on the LAO server.

> It's quite a bit more than a wiki app, you can write applications with
> it as well. Here's some of mine:
> http://nielsmayer.com/xwiki/bin/view/Exhibit/NPRpods3
> (an earlier version:
> http://nielsmayer.com/xwiki/bin/view/Timeline/NprTimeline &&
> http://nielsmayer.com/xwiki/bin/view/Timeline/KcrwTimeline  before I
> switched to http://www.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/ e.g.
> http://nielsmayer.com/xwiki/bin/view/Exhibit/Presidents4 ).

Cool. However, I don't see the benefit of a Timeline for the
wiki.linuxaudio.org site. I think we'd rather want some more music
related features like f.i. http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/abc :) but
maybe that's just me.

best,
robin