[LAD] what does "full range" mean with regard to ambisonics and speakers?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Aug 23 19:20:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 01:04:32AM -0600, Bearcat M. Şandor wrote:

> > The basic problem here is that the lowpass (for the subs) and the
> > highpass (for the rest) have to matched in both amplitude and phase
> > response. If you can meausure the subs there's no problem in finding
> > a matching highpass. The problem is measuring the subs.
>
> Ahh! Well i don't think matching the levels would be a problem with a
> sound meter would it? (gotta get me one of those) As far as matching
> phase, i have no frikin idea how you'd do that.

Matching the level can be do just by ear. Matching filter responses
is another matter. Sound level meters are kind of useless for getting
an idea of how a sub behaves in a real room, and even a full impulse
response measurements without room effects would be quite difficult.
The only solution I see for this is room correction in the Ambisonic
domain.

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.