[LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Aug 21 20:24:05 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 04:37:06AM -0400, Tim E. Real wrote:

> It gives us the perfect excuse, and the mechanism, to make the meters go
>  all the way down past -144dB if we want - and thus be the same height as
>  the sliders no matter if their minimum is -60dB, -144dB...
> The mechanism being    post-fader peak = pre-fader peak + attenuation dB
>  which facilitates a longer meter, right?
> (Could even say demands it, but the meters could end up longer than sliders!
>  So we chop them off at the min slider value.)
>
> We give the user AFM buttons and three runtime options:
>  1: Meter and slider minimum are both ~-48dB before off.
>  2: Meter and slider minimum are both ~-60dB before off.
>  3: Meter and slider minimum are both ~-144dB before off.

I'm in holiday (Crete, diving), but feel compelled to add
this to the discussion:

Metering post-fader is of no value at all to users who know
what they are doing, and possibly just confusing to others.
Metering downto -144 dB is complete nonsense.

If you want to improve this app, make both the faders and
meters *fixed size*, select that fixed size so it matches
the real resolution of the faders well, so we can finally
have a *reliable* gain setting for this chipset.

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.