[LAD] Best way to insert DSP module in audio chain in Linux

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Aug 30 14:44:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Kim Therkelsen <kim_t26 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Yes , I understand, there probably is no simple answer.
> I normally make applications for Microsoft Windows and don't know much about
> Linux.
> If you make a virtual sound card in Windows you have a solution that covers
> all applications.
> I assume it must be possible to do something similar in Linux.

No, this isn't true. Virtual sound cards in Windows don't cover all
applications. Linux also has such "virtual sound cards" (via a variety
of different mechanisms) but just as the most common way to implement
a virtual sound card on Windows won't address apps like Sonar or
Reason (or it certainly won't address their issues), the "virtual
sound cards" on Linux will work well for some applications and not for
others.

> I want to use the solution in Meego, Android, and Google Chrome OS - if
> possible.

it would have been useful for you to have described this up front -
you're clearly operating in a very different application niche than
most (not all) of the developers on this list. for most of us, mobile
device targetting is not particularly central, and the technologies
that we generally use to get audio in and out of the computer are
pretty different than the ones that would be used on your system.
most/many of us here are pretty firmly rooted on the desktop, in
environments where low latency is important and the i/o devices are
often *not* built into the system (and in some cases, may not even be
accessible via ALSA).

i'm afraid i don't have anything to offer for solutions in this kind
of environment, but perhaps someone else will.