[LAD] Is there a Linux Software Mixer?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Dec 1 14:05:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Rory Filer <rflyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to run my squeezeslave client this way too, but it wants to go
> straight and hog the /dev/dsp interface. So when I try running my aplay
> while squeezeslave is up I get

Squeezeslave stupidly uses the old OSS API, not ALSA. Redirectly this
to a different ALSA device is a bit different, because its a "legacy"
API and only supported to try stop old stuff from breaking.

It is possible to change what ALSA h/w device "/dev/dsp" corresponds
to, but I don't know of a way to make it refer to a dmix
pseudo-device.

Basically, Squeezeslave is stupid and old and needs fixing and/or not
using. And for what its worth, I run a SqueezeServer and 3
squeezeboxen, so I'm not exactly immune to the joys of squeeze-fu :)

--p