[LAD] recycle users wanted

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Thu Dec 9 20:47:49 UTC 2010

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> A while ago we asked Ardour team if they wanted some file formats
> reverse-engineered. Paul named a couple of such file formats,
> including REX2 audio loops [2].

I attempted reverse engineering this file format for includsion
in libsndfile a number of years ago but made little progress beyond
reading the actual chunck data. The results of that work is in
the src/rx2.c of the libsndfile tarball. It can be enabled by
configuring libsndfile with --enable-experimental.

> And since we do it not just for fun, but for actual results, we'd be
> glad if developers of other applications (FreeCycle and Smasher are
> the first I can think of) implemented support for REX2.

If libsndfile has it, all the programs that use libsndfile can have
it too.

> Coincidentally we are also interested in people who are good at audio
> compression algorithms. *cough* Monty *cough* :)

>From my previous work on this file format, I came to the conclusion
that they don't actually use an audio compression algorithm, but
rather, they use an encryption algorithm.

Cheers,
Erik