[LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Wed Dec 15 09:40:39 UTC 2010

rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 12/14/2010 09:28 PM, gene heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday, December 14, 2010 03:27:37 pm Victor Lazzarini did opine:
>>
>>> Stallman hitting the mainstream news:
>>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/dec/14/chrome-os-richard
>>> -stallman-warning
>>>
>> He's right.
>>
> +1
I agree. I also think he is addressing the 'consumer' environment. As
soon as Chrome OS works on netbooks people in stores will be convinced
that it is the latest 'cool thing' to buy, unaware of what exactly
'cloud' means.
I also agree that 'cloud computing' is much of a buzz word, it's not so
different from the once-upon-a-time systems with client-server model no?
Once you store your data on the server, you have to trust the server
owner that the data is secure (in all meanings)

That said as an audio user having an actual machine I can control and
with enough hardware 'capabilities' is still a need I personally have
and will have for many years.

Lorenzo.