[LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Dec 15 22:56:24 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 05:51:45 pm Jörn Nettingsmeier did opine:

> On 12/15/2010 11:14 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > Ralf I suspect, if he were to use pgp, would be like me, and only
> > trust pgp-2.6.2a, the last one before they put Zimmerman in jail for
> > a few years. I have often said, and have been called the uber
> > paranoid for it, that one of the conditions of his release was that
> > the next generation of pgp had a back door.
>
> as they say, paranoia doesn't mean they're not after you!
>
> :-D
>
> i think this problem is mitigated somewhat by using open protocols with
> open crypto implementations that have undergone public scrutiny. unless
> you want to believe that "the NSA has quantum computers anyway and have
> solved the entire problem space years ago" :)

Not NASA, FBI.  There are reports of 2 or 3 guys witnessing their machinery
busting a post 2.6.2a PGP's key in 30 seconds.  No clue if that passes the
snope's sniff test or not, could be nothing more than propaganda to
discourage its use too.  It is still a problem for some methods though,
just look at all the hoorah about R.I.M. a few months ago, and I doubt
their encryption is even equal to a 256 bit PGP key.