[LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Dec 15 23:10:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 5:14 AM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> Ralf I suspect, if he were to use pgp, would be like me, and only trust
> pgp-2.6.2a, the last one before they put Zimmerman in jail for a few years.
> I have often said, and have been called the uber paranoid for it, that one
> of the conditions of his release was that the next generation of pgp had a
> back door.  Denials out the yang are always instantaneous, but none of them
> came from Pete, so I have no choice but to conclude he is under NDA as the
> price of his freedom.

Wrong also:

Q: I heard a rumor that you cut a deal with the US Government to put a
back door in PGP in order to not be prosecuted for publishing PGP. Is
this true? Come on, you can tell me, I won't tell anyone, I promise.

A: You heard wrong. No, I didn't cut any deals, and would not have
done so even if it was the only way to stay out of prison. But I
didn't have to negotiate with them at all. After a three year criminal
investigation, they did not indict me, because we beat them.

This is from his own website:  http://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/faq/index.html

paranoia will only get you so far gene :)