[LAD] ALSA multi plugin and JACK xrun callbacks

Lee Azzarello lee at rockingtiger.com
Thu Dec 16 19:49:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Lee Azzarello <lee at rockingtiger.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 6:58 AM, torbenh <torbenh at gmx.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have no idea what might be happening, but an alternative to use
>>> several alsa devices in jack would be the alsa_in and alsa_out
>>> utilities shipped with jack, perhaps that will give you less trouble?
>>
>> hmm... the interesting thing is that he actually claims to not have
>> trouble. he only gets xrun callbacks. this is weird.
>

> I'll test the alsa_(in|out) utilities later today.

Great success! alsa_out on the second device exposes those two
additional channels to JACK and I can connect any application to them
without jackd printing messages about xrun callbacks. Thanks for your
help. Final thoughts:

I was initially attracted to the ALSA multi plugin because it is
managed by the kernel and I only have to interact with it once,
through a configuration file. alsa_out requires a service to be run
after jackd is started. I realize there are many ways to do this. In
the effort of simplicity, what are the best practices for managing
both interactive and non interactive JACK clients without spending a
bunch of time manually "initializing the patchbay" before a session?

-lee