[LAD] [ANN] MusE 2.0alpha

Robert Jonsson spamatica at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 21:46:13 UTC 2010

2010/12/24 Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com>

> > Hmm, no idea why this happens for you. Perhaps Orcan has some idea?
>
> Thanks to someone on your channel muse builds after modifying
> trunk/muse2/muse/midiedit/CMakeLists.txt to:
> target_link_libraries (
>    midiedit
>    ${QT_LIBRARIES}
>    al
>    icons
>    widgets
>    ctrl
> )
>
> ctrl needed to be added.

Cool, if it's not already added (guessing it is) I'll add it.

> > > Anyway, upfront a couple of questions/suggestions.
> > >
> > > website:
> > > - Part Import/Export <- what does this refer to?
> > >

> > Midi-parts are xml based and can be stored and retrieved from disk. This
> > gives the possibility to produce a library of parts. Creating a public
> > library of parts (mainly for drums) has been discussed.
>
> Ok, never heard of it, and I'm not sure just 'part' is obvious.
>
> True, I'll fix the text.

> > > - Several types of audio tracks
> > >      * Audio inputs
> > >      * Audio outputs
> > >      * Wave tracks    <- those sound weird, I hope I don't need to
> > >

> > They are regular tracks where you can put/record wave-parts, if you tried
> > older versions of MusE this is nothing new.
>
> Apparently I never got this far before. I found it quite confusing I
> must say.
> Worse though is that new input tracks are muted by default

That is a good point, I'll see if we can make it clearer.

> (took me a
> while to figure out why I couldn't record anything despite proper
> routing) and that you have to constantly re-arm everything (wav tracks
> at least).

If you just want to record one track the currently selected track is
rec-enabled when you click rec.
I guess there are different "schools" how this should be handled, it works
pretty good for me but I'm open for ideas for how to change it.

> Another thing I've noticed just now, apparently muse wrote a bunch of
> wav and .wca files to the build directory (I might have run it from
> there). I never told it to save anything and just using the cwd as a
> dump isn't a good idea imho.

This is a very good point and a very weak area of MusE. Working with it a
long time you tend to do the extra mouseclicks (creating a directory and
storing the project in it and then hitting rec) without thinking.
Will look at it right away.

Regards,
Robert