[LAD] On the last eve of the year

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 31 15:24:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-31 at 16:04 +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Jens!
>    Oh nothing against the EX series. I listened to a workstation comparison
> between some of its tme and the EX had sme clever technology in it. Yamaha was
> always good about that, only at this time, their samples weren't too good.
> Still physical modelling wise and in some other technical respects, I always
> thought, that they were clever machines.
>    Kindly yours
>           Julien

OT:

I marked this thread for reading next year ;).

I bought one of the first Yamaha DX7 (brown metal case), when I was
around 16 years old, today I'm 44 years old. It's my master keyboard
since that time! It had and still has got some software issues, but I
didn't switch to an upgraded version by warranty or by any other upgrade
and today I'm happy that I never did this. A friend has got a DX7 (resp.
it is 2 DX7) in a black plastic case, this machine doesn't sound as good
as an original DX7, it does nearly sound as bad as Hexter.

IMO any synths based on the DX7, e.g. DX1, TX7 etc. TXx (not DX9 etc.)
are unique. Btw. there's a book from 1984 "Yamaha DX7 Digital
Synthesizer" by Asuhiko Fukuda with some math about the DX7 AFAIR he was
the first one who emulated barking dogs etc., in the mid-nineties there
get choirs around that sound similar to sampled choirs.

And DX7 and DX7 II still have got very good keyboards. I know, today
there are some other and better keyboards for synth available, still the
DX7 keyboard is one of the good keyboards.