[LAD] Has anyone ever played a plugin in realtime ... [related to:] hard realtime performance synth

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Thu Feb 4 21:12:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 03:32:23PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> >I don't need 20 pianos, I also need
> > strings, pads, hard synths, Atmo-FX and the lot.
> given that pianoteq is using physical modelling, its hard to see how
> their technology could be applied to hard synths, pads or atmo-fx.

That's why Steinberg's Hypersonic2 is a hybrid: it has a sample ROM, it
has the usual synthesizer stuff (VCO+LFO) for the hard leads and a FX
section, an arpeggiator plus some more to combine everything.

I don't expect Pianoteq to be anything else than a piano, but this
doesn't change the point that there's no allround virtual instrument on
Linux that's suitable for the average pop producer or live keyboardist
playing in a Top40 band. (that's exactly what the microX does: it
delivers a wide variety of decent sounds ready to be used for
straight-forward tasks)

I guess the hardest part of making such a Motif/Triton/Phantom clone is
getting some nice samples, which won't probably happen for free. I could
sample an acoustic guitar, but I can't record a whole orchestra. ;)

Cheerio

--
mail: adi at thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver