[LAD] Has anyone ever played a plugin in realtime ... [related to:] hard realtime performance synth

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Sat Feb 6 20:49:44 UTC 2010

Emanuel!
   No DMA? That does seem bad! Direct Memory Access is VERY helpful and has
been there for years - not to say decades. It's also supported by the Linux
kernel since version 2.0.X something. If not enabled this can take up
considereable amount of CPU time. So no wonder. Your system MUST be capabel of
playing a nice piano (2-3GB) with LinuxSample with lower latencies. But how
about your soundcard? Is it good, do you know, what they say about its own
hardware latency?
   Always remember it's possible to play realtime on a 700mHz CPU, if you shut
down the graphic. polyphony and sustain. Probably a few drop-outs there. But
700mHz are far from your new dual core!
   Kindest regards
           Julien

--------