[LAD] 2.6.31.x vs. rme vs. alsa 1.0.22?

Wed Feb 17 01:58:02 UTC 2010

Hey, has anyone been seeing strange behavior from this combination?

  kernel 2.6.31.x rt20 + alsa 1.0.22 userland
  RME card (pcmcia card + multiface)

hdspmixer is not doing the right thing (does not initialize the card in
a way in which playback works), it does not see the hwdep interface (or
something like that) and disables metering, alsamixer even segfaults
when I reach the end of the controls listed. Plain weird. Smells like
something changed deep in the kernel that makes alsa-lib very unhappy.
Alsa-tools rebuilt from source does not make a difference.

Weirdness goes away when I boot into 2.6.29.6 rt23...

Is there anything in alsa-* that depends on which _kernel_ is available
at compile time?

-- Fernando