[LAD] CV data protocol in apps.

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 10:32:16 UTC 2010

2010/2/18 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de>:
> On 02/18/2010 10:54 AM, alex stone wrote:
>> As a power user who's modestly (just kidding) keen on saving time,
>> using great workflow, and avoiding as much of the drudgery of editing
>> work over and over again to get an end result as is possible, i've had
>> the privilege and pleasure of testing and working with a data protocol
>> called CV, or control voltage, in these last 2 weeks.
>
> funny to call CV a "protocol" - it's been around since the 60s, and just
> describes the fact that a given processing unit reacts to an incoming
> voltage rather than a knob.
>
> at first, i wasn't quite sure if you're joking... but yes, it's very
> convenient, just totally not new :)
>
> much like a "one midi command per wire, running status on" architecture.
>
> compared to ardour's automation tracks (which are somewhat difficult to
> use), what does non-mixer do that's better?
> comparing midi and cv is apples and oranges imho.

Yes, i'm sure it's not new, although implemented in a software
environment may well be...rejuvenating.

I'm struck by the elegant simplicity of it, and the ease of use, hence the mail.

Not sure about apples and oranges though. I've seen a few attempts at
using midi for automation, none of which were as easy to use.

I'm also not sure that "powerful" readily equates to a requirement for
added complexity. If a design is so easy to use that you're not aware
of it, then old or not, it must have something going for it.

Just my view or course.

Alex.

--
www.openoctave.org