[LAD] CV data protocol in apps.

torbenh torbenh at gmx.de
Thu Feb 18 10:53:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:30:42AM +0100, Julien 'Lta' BALLET wrote:
> Hello,
>
> That's true, this isn't new at all. but it has been lost for some
> times in the audio world in favor of midi, mainly afaik because too
> much cables just drives people crazy :)
>
> But actually, implementing it perfectly it jack apps may cost a lot if
> your control rate is the same as the audio rate (for example computing
> a filter coefs 96000 times per second). I think a new type of 'audio'
> port having only a sample per period could be a simple and handy

dunno. but i think timestamped events are better.
maybe we should just specify some 32bit/float midi replacement ?

iE somthing that can be translated down to midi.
but still has float values.

an event consisting of uint32_t and a float
could encode all sorts of stuff.

2^24 float CC
21 octaves with 1/65536 tones. noteon noteoff with float velocity.
still got 253 eventtypes free....

all in a nice 8byte per event thingy.

of course it would be discussed to death :(

> solution to this (one of the problem may be when you connect more than
> one cv to a port, mixing CV isn't necessarily the thing we want to do)
>
> Anyway, CV is still, even after 50 year, a really nice way of
> controlling audio parameters, and would be kind of a good solution for
> mapping lv2 control ports to jack ports.
>
> Regards,
> Lta.
>
> 2010/2/18 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de>:
> > On 02/18/2010 10:54 AM, alex stone wrote:
> >> As a power user who's modestly (just kidding) keen on saving time,
> >> using great workflow, and avoiding as much of the drudgery of editing
> >> work over and over again to get an end result as is possible, i've had
> >> the privilege and pleasure of testing and working with a data protocol
> >> called CV, or control voltage, in these last 2 weeks.
> >
> > funny to call CV a "protocol" - it's been around since the 60s, and just
> > describes the fact that a given processing unit reacts to an incoming
> > voltage rather than a knob.
> >
> > at first, i wasn't quite sure if you're joking... but yes, it's very
> > convenient, just totally not new :)
> >
> > much like a "one midi command per wire, running status on" architecture.
> >
> > compared to ardour's automation tracks (which are somewhat difficult to
> > use), what does non-mixer do that's better?
> > comparing midi and cv is apples and oranges imho.

> --
> BALLET Julien
> Head of LabFree,  Free software laboratory of Epitech
> Phone : 01 53 14 59 32 || 06 17 32 86 93.
> Mail : <j.ballet at freelab.epitech.eu> -- <elthariel at gmail.com>
> Web : http://www.labfree.org/

torben Hohn