[LAD] CV data protocol in apps.

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Feb 18 17:09:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:43:07AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
>
> > A reduced sample rate means less bandwidth. It doesn't mean
> > that controls can't be 'sample accurate'. You could even
> > extract 'sub-sample-accurate' discrete events from them,
> > it's just a matter of interpretation.
>
> this just needs a minor re-use of the existing midi port type.
> drobilla always felt that it was questionable that we called this
> stuff "midi" at all, because 95% of the infrastructure is about
> handling sample accurate events, and is utterly agnostic about the
> contents.

We may not be talking of the same thing. This is not about
'generic events' but about reduced-bandwidth continuous
signals, represented as floating point samples. So I'd say
that all it takes is a shorter version of the standard
_audio_ buffer.

The last paragraph in my previous post just hinted at the
possibility that even such low-bandwidth 'analog' signals
can represent discrete events with infinite timing accuracy,
and in a way that would e.g. survive operations such as
mixing or resampling.

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?