[LAD] CV data protocol in apps.

Simon Jenkins sjenkins at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 19 16:30:28 UTC 2010

On 19 Feb 2010, at 15:29, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 02:55:51PM +0000, Simon Jenkins wrote:
>
>> If the user sends a 20khz sine wave into an application's
>> "volume" port that's either their mistake, or its exactly
>> what they wanted to do.
>
> If that is what they want to do they should use the right
> tool, wich would be ring modulator in a synth. I'd expect
> synths to use audio rate controls at least for some units,
> even if in almost all cases 1/16 would be enough.
>
> If a 'normal' audio app with a volume control (e.g. a mixer)
> would actually accept a 20kHz sine wave as a control signal
> then I'd consider it to be of extremely low quality and bad
> design. The same app would happily add any noise present on
> its controls to its signals and I wouldn't trust it for any
> serious work. It's sort the software equivalent of using
> cheap low-quality analog faders.

Even a hypothetical app might not be so badly written as to cause noise to appear on the outputs of upstream applications. And would 1/16 rate CV solve this if it did?

Look... *takes a step backwards*....

I'm not expecting a *normal* app to expose its volume control as a CV input at all. Maybe some in this thread are.

I'm reading "CV input" as "invitation to modulate" and, yes, sometimes it makes no sense to modulate at the full audio rate, but sometimes it does. I'm just not sure a special and predetermined 1/16th or whatever control rate is worth the effort (and might even be a performance hit in some cases) for the reasons I described when I entered this thread.

Cheers

~ Simon