[LAD] Jack port alias names

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Mon Feb 22 19:27:47 UTC 2010

Good day...

Just coming to grips working with and learning the alias system...

Under what conditions might a Jack port not have any alias names?
When might I expect to encounter that situation?

Because our app supports both ALSA midi and Jack midi, the app's very own
 ALSA ports are showing up in its list of Jack midi ports. We don't want our
 own ALSA ports listed in there.

So to filter them out of our Jack midi ports list, I look at the port's (first)
 alias name and see if the app's name is in there, and filter out the port if
 it's a match.

So far so good, but I'm worried what happens if there's no alias to work with.
I can't figure out a way to determine if a non-aliased name like
 "system:midi_playback_4" actually belongs to our app's own ALSA ports.

I don't know how or if 'alias renaming' will affect my plans.
Still learning + investigating much about this system.

Thanks. Tim.