[LAD] Congratulations Ardour Team!!!

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Jan 3 22:35:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh> wrote:

> Well, to compare Mixbus and Ubuntu, I would look at these pages:
>
> 1. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate/developerzone
>
>   which explains to users that they are welcome to participate in
>   development and provides pointers to specific information;
>
> 2. https://launchpad.net/ardour
>
>   which contains links to the Ardour home page and Ubuntu source code
>   packages; and
>
> 3. http://za.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/a/ardour/
>
>   which offers both binaries and source code (this is equivalent to
>   distributing the source code along with the binaries in the GPL 2.)

None of these links will be presented to a user who installs Ardour
using aptitude, apt-get or any GUI front end for these tools. None of
them will be presented to a user who runs Ardour on their Ubuntu
system either. Neither will the GPL license of Ardour be presented to
the user (that will vanish into their X log file). In short, the user
will have no clue about the license status unless they have enough
knowledge of Ubuntu to know that most of its apps are GPL and how to
check that.