[LAD] Step-by-step RPM creation ?

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 18:00:58 UTC 2010

On Monday, January 4, 2010, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
> A long time ago I had very good step-by-step instructions for building
> RPMs, but no more; I Googled it a few days ago and did not find anything
> remotely complete.  Anyone have some?  I am very good with package
> installation, scripting, etc., and I do remember spec files, but the
> chroot build environment etc. is definitely beyond my memory.
>
> J.E.B.

I never bother creating and managing a chroot environment for my RPM packages.
For local/testing package builds, I use only the "rpmbuild" command, and a
~/RPM directory structure with the usual layout.

For real building in several architectures (i586, x86_64) several distros, and
several versions, I use the openSUSE build service. You provide the spec and
the sources, and it builds the packages and publishes the results if
succeeded. Here are some pointers:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service_Tutorial
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Build_Tutorial