[LAD] LADI

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 13:22:33 UTC 2010

Adrian Knoth wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 05:16:22PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>

>> but for Suse and Debian based distros JACK2 can't be simply compiled
>> and installed while the package or all files of the package aren't
>> removed,
>>

> There's jack2 in Debian experimental, and you're free to download the
> package source:
>

>    http://packages.debian.org/source/experimental/jack-audio-connection-kit
>

> You then say dpkg-source -x *.dsc and run debuild in the directory. Feel
> free to modify debian/rules, so you can add all the flags that you want.
>

> I've disabled the jackdbus package at the moment, because I have yet to
> try it myself and get the big picture. (to be honest, I'm not entirely
> sure there's consensus about jackdbus, but I don't want to re-start this
> lengthy discussion again)
>

>> Oops, right now I noticed that there's a package called "jackdbus" for
>>

> Which is empty, as you've already shown. That was one of the reasons why
> I've disabled it for now in the experimental package.
>

> I must confess I know almost nothing about jackdbus. All I know is that
> it can talk to pulseaudio to get the soundcard back, which, on the other
> hand, is completely unimportant to usual studio setups where you have a
> cheap (mainboard) system card and the real, unused recording card.
>
> Given that it's unused, I don't have to ask anybody about releasing it,
> so simply starting jackd does the trick.
>
> Feel free to educate me. ;)
>

> PS: For the occasional jackd-on-my-builtin-laptop-card-user, it would be
> sufficient to run jackd *on top* of pulseaudio and no cards are handed
> over back and forth. Latency on these chips is crap anyway, real work
> beyond tweaking some volume curves isn't done, so it's all about running
> jackd *somehow* to get the inter-app-routing. I suggest to add a PA
> backend for jackd, that is, jackd -d pulse.
>
> Steinberg does this on Win32, you can run your Cubase with poor latency
> on top of the ordinary D3D- or MME API. Though nobody would ever use
> this for recording or any other decent work, it gives you the chance of
> running the app, make small changes and export a mixdown. That's roughly
> the level one could expect from a builtin soundcard, for everything
> else, additional audio gear would be used.
>
> I think pleasing the desktop user who insists to run jackd on his el
> cheapo card could be achieved with this jack-on-PA approach. This would
> remove the need for passing access to sound hardware between PA and
> jackd.
>

> Just my €0.02

Hi,

The development version of Qjackctl seems to have (partial) jackdbus
support now. I have jackd (--classic) and jackdbus (--dbus) on my system
without big problems. The only problem you can get it when you stop an
certain 'studio' in Ladish, some apps seems to autolaunch jackd, and a
running jackd prevents jackdbus to be started. I suggested the Ladish
developers to implement some kind of mechanism which tracks if jackd is
running when jackdbus/ladish can't be started.

But I suggest you to enable both --classic and --dbus for Debian, along
with the latest qjackctl with jackdbus support, so people can use jackd
and jackdbus.

\r