[LAD] Session Handlers and 'level 1' support

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri Jan 8 13:45:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Nedko Arnaudov <nedko at arnaudov.name> wrote:
> Yes the goal is to have simple to implement state save "message" that
> does not require additional libraries.

Well, I suppose as long as users are made aware that enabling it for
applications they aren't absolutely sure support it is a dangerous
thing to do.  I don't like it, I think it's a simplification too far,
but then I'm not one of the people using it.

> Maybe you can watch the video, it is less than 5 minutes long.

I did actually watch that, when it was announced.

> Desktop session handler traditionally relies on X11. The trend in
> freedesktop (KDE, GNOME) is to use D-Bus as IPC instead. I'm not aware
> of D-Bus desktop session manager.

GNOME is starting to use one.  gnome-session switched to it in GNOME
2.24, completely breaking backward compatible session management
during that release series for lots of users, including me.  Badly
done, but not intrinsically technically wrong.

> In future, ladish aims to save/restore window
> properties like window position, virtual desktop and screen
> (multimonitor).

That does sound like a desktop session manager to me.

Chris