[LAD] PortAudio experience

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Tue Jan 12 18:29:25 UTC 2010

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Michael Ost <most at museresearch.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are considering using PortAudio for Linux hardware support (and
>> Windows/Mac as well). What's the word on the quality, reliability,
>> ease-of-programming, latency and performance in Linux?
>
> it works. its development seems to be an issue. it will not fix any of
> the issues that you'd otherwise have to tackle on linux.

Can you say more about that last sentence? I'm not quite getting it.

> however, i'm puzzled: you guys are already running on linux - what are
> you using now, and why the switch? cross-platform?

Yes, cross platform. I'm investigating Windows/MacOS support. We've got
our own portability layer, but it's only really implemented for Linux.

BTW - I looked at JACK, but a quick google scan suggests that its not
quite ready for prime time in Windows.

Thanks!

- mo