[LAD] Time & How to approach it

torbenh torbenh at gmx.de
Thu Jan 21 11:37:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:01:36PM +0100, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> On 01/20/2010 08:24 PM, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the JackMidi crash course. That's definatly some food for
> > thought.
> > I've tried to get the JACK Midi things working before, but I've never
> > managed.
> > I see the value in the sample-accurate-ness of JACK midi, so I think ill
> > skip the
> > AlsaSeq implementation. I've the docs there though, seem noteworthy just to
> > have read.
>
> No problem, I'm glad to help.
>
> However, please note that there's a bit of utopia in my explanations, because
> AFAIK there are quite a few apps out there which neither support JACK Midi (only
> ALSA), nor deal or even care about the BBT and BPM info from the jack transport
> position.
>
> So you may need to be more specific about which other software you want your app
> to interact with, to make a definitive decision about ALSA Midi support, etc...
>
> That said, JACK Midi is indeed truly smart IMO.

well.. the real problems are a bit deeper.
and not really touched be any example clients.

you need to have lockfree access to the note sequence.
while still being able to manipulate it from the gui thread.

several approaches to achieve this are possible. and it depends a bit on
taste and the app to select them.

but the major part of complexity lies here.

> --
>   Olivier

torben Hohn