[LAD] hard realtime performance synth

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 06:35:12 UTC 2010

2010/1/24 Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd at gmail.com>:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, David McClanahan wrote:
>
>> Where to start? I have a Dell 7000 laptop and I'm wondering if it can be a
>> music synthesizer(something like a Minimoog). If not, why not?
>
> Of course.  The major contenders are linuxsampler,
> fluidsynth, and zynaddsubfx.
>
> Are you trying to build your own dedicated synthesizer on
> top of linux?  Like the Korg OASYS?
>
>> 1. Implement a synth on a hard real time platform. RTAI or RTLinux. Such a
>> system would boot up as a dedicated synth aka cut out stuff unnecessary for
>> other than sound control/production
>
> I would suggest using something like Debian with an RT
> kernel.  A bare-bones Debian install has a small footprint,
> and there are several RT kernels avail. for Debian.  It's
> also easy to add/remove packages without crippling the
> system.
>
> I've heard good things about ArchLinux, too... WRT it's
> ability to configure the distro to your needs.
>
>> 2. Characteristics of  a synth could be set while in a normal Linux
>> environment.
>
> Are you wanting X11, or not?  That's really the biggest
> question.  If you /do/ want X11... then I'm not sure what
> you're trying to accomplish, here.
>
> FYI, with some synths (esp. linuxsampler), you can run the
> synth in a headless (no monitor) environment and control it
> over ethernet with the OSC protocol.

You need a custom embedded system and environment, if I understand
your intention. Even when a laptop is definitely a lot more powerful
than a hardware synthesizer, it has components that get in the way for
it to function as fast. So you have to do something about that.

1) You want it to boot in 10s

POST/BIOS on a lot of average laptops/computers takes up a minimum of
2-4s. Less components directly results in less things to check and
hence, less time.

This can also be resolved by SSD/SDHC storage. Now what was that other
Intel initiative that demo-ed a 10s bootup?

2) You can:

a. Provide a custom UI (think framebuffer; directfb; qtopia
http://www.ldc.usb.ve/docs/qt/qtopiacore-differences.html for
qsampler; an embedded full java environment to house only jsampler)
and navigation/action keyboard/mouse mapping

b. Don't provide a UI and just let the user control with predefined
keyboard/mouse mapping

c. Use X11 (maybe even xdirectfb) and strip out userland stuff as and
where not necessary

The best starting point is to base your system around a single
application and develop it for that one and one only. Do not think
about providing extras like a drum kit or what not - that can be
hacked out later on because this is Linux(TM).

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD