[LAD] hard realtime performance synth

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:48:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM, David McClanahan
<david.mcclanahan at gmail.com> wrote:
> in the time constraints(aka the 44Khz). RTLinux appears to be suitable and
> RTAI might be. Perhaps others.

Just a note, I know there will be lots of different answers to your
post, but in the midst of all that could we have a small side
discussion on precisely this topic?

I have been using Xenomai recently for non-audio related research, and
found it not too hard to use.  (Other than the fact that I had to
patch and compile the kernel myself.)

However, this was with some custom PCI hardware for which I had driver
source code which I translated to the RTDM model myself.  (Which was
quite easy actually.  RTDM is not a bad driver model at all-- in some
ways more consistent than the Linux driver model.)

Does anyone have experience porting audio drivers to RTDM?  Or... is
it possible to use ALSA in conjunction with Xenomai somehow?  I'm
particularly interested for small embedded systems, but the old Dell
laptop in question is also I think a valid scenario.

thanks,
Steve