[LAD] hard realtime performance synth

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at comhem.se
Wed Jan 27 08:39:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 15:15 -0500, David McClanahan wrote:

> ... Roland, Korg, Yamaha put out turnkey products on what I suspect is
> simpler hardware and my question is there any reason why similar
> turnkey systems could not be developed on a Linux system ...

There is a difference between 'any Linux system' and 'a Linux System
built for audio'

A Roland/Yamaha styled HW synth will at least have one dedicated DSP -
or even custom built logic - directly connected to its ADC/DAC to do the
single innermost loop that is the RT-application.  Everything else is
for display, blinken-lights and monitoring state of knobs and buttons.

A $150 Beagle Board has the nescessary HW and connectivity to work like
that. Your Dell laptop does not.