[LAD] [Jack-Devel] tschack ... early version of smp enabled jack1

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 04:39:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> JACK2 code base can be instrumented (using the "--profile
> Build with engine profiling" option ) to give more precise
> understanding of the source of possible Xruns.
>
> See : http://www.grame.fr/Ressources/pub/JACK2_lac2009.pdf
>
> We cannot fix possible issues if they are not reported
> with some precise infos on what happens.

I started playing with this -- and this is pretty cool.
Great work!

I had been avoid this because I figured it comes with a
performance overhead (like -gprof does).  Or, perhaps it
only has overhead when you use it (like Sun's strace).
What overhead does compiling with --profile introduce?  Why
not have it enabled by default?

Suggestion/Issue:  I have PDF issues with the
TimingN.plot (gnuplot) files that it outputs.  They always
issue the command 'set terminal pdf' and try to output a PDF
file.  These create an error on my system and I have to
manually delete them or change them to something like SVG
or EPS.

Apparently, there's a license issue with libpdflite (which
gnuplot uses to generate PDFs)... so some distro's won't
have it installed.

Thanks,
Gabriel