[LAD] [LAA] gst123-0.1.2

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 00:37:22 UTC 2010

I forwarded my message on compiling gst123 to the fedora and ccrma
lists. Got a question about using it in Emacs dired style... others
may find my response helpful:

orig: http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2010-July/017010.html
-----------------
Thanks for reminding me to test this feature. In xemacs (*), it works
nicely allowing playback of any media i've thrown at it.... Using
dired, find the desired file and use keyboard command '!'
(shell command on files), giving "gst123" as the command. The file
will play but will do so in the foreground. To stop it, issue a C-g .
The *Shell-Command-Output-Buffer* will contain the following (while
playing audio track for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI8NuFAETMQ ).

> Playing file:///home/npm/Music/Tonight_You_Belong_To_Me.mp3
> socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
>
> Title   : Tonight You Belong To Me      Artist  : Steve Martin and Bernadette P
> Album   : The Jerk                      Genre   :
> Comment :                               Date    : 1979
> Codec   : MPEG 1 Audio, Layer 3 (MP3) ( Bitrate : 256.0 kbit/s
>
> Time: 0:00:00.09 of 0:01:59.45

You can multiple select files as well and then issue command '!' and
it should play through the list of selected media.

However, since it plays in the foreground and makes emacs
unresponsive, you could also start it in the background through a
script and tell it to be less verbose, set desired audio interface,
etc:
>  gst123 [OPTION...] <URI>... - Play video and audio clips
>  -@, --list=<filename>                   read playlist of files and URIs from <filename>
>  --version                               print version
>  --verbose                               print GStreamer pipeline used to play files
>  -z, --shuffle                           play files in pseudo random order
>  -x, --novideo                           do not play the video stream
>  -a, --audio-output=<driver>[=<dev>]     set audio output driver and device
>  --display=DISPLAY                       X display to use

Note that it'll playback web clips from the command-line too. With
ALSA setup per http://nielsmayer.com/dot-asoundrc.txt (nb: device
"mythtv" sets up my
mobo's SPDIF out at 48k):

> gst123 -a alsa=mythtv http://nielsmayer.com/bm03/freeland-at-solsystem.avi
>
> Playing http://nielsmayer.com/bm03/freeland-at-solsystem.avi
>
> Comment :                                                 Date    : 2003
> Codec   : Uncompressed 8-bit PCM audio (audio) Motion JPE Bitrate : 0.0 kbit/s

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

(*): xemacs-packages-extra-el-20090217-7.fc12.noarch
xemacs-packages-base-el-20090217-4.fc12.noarch
xemacs-el-21.5.29-11.fc12.x86_64
xemacs-packages-extra-20090217-7.fc12.noarch
flim-xemacs-1.14.8-5.fc12.noarch
xemacs-21.5.29-11.fc12.x86_64
xemacs-packages-extra-info-20090217-7.fc12.noarch
xemacs-info-21.5.29-11.fc12.noarch
xemacs-common-21.5.29-11.fc12.x86_64
xemacs-packages-base-20090217-4.fc12.noarch
w3m-el-xemacs-1.4.371-0.1.20091119cvs.fc12.noarch